Saturday, September 4, 2010

REPORT: September 4, 2010 - Saturday - 5pm

Over the month of August there were many observations, and even a few carefully selected seashells and driftwood that I collected. There were days when the beach was practically free of debris, and others when an enormous an amount of trash washed up during storms and heavy currents. In this past month, my camera stopped working - hence, no pictures on this post.

I learned a few things and have watched as T. OCEAN has too. He now has an almost obsessive need to pick up the trash he sees. And when I insist on him not touching it, he absolutely makes sure that I take care of it. It also bothers him greatly when I have to explain that there are times when there might be too much for me to pick up -- to much for one person. Or that I'm not prepared to clean all the streets, and sidewalks and parks. To him, trash is trash. Without realizing it, I helped create something much bigger in him than I would have imagined. I'm still working on how to best work with him on this.

I have asked myself -- would it be possible to be on the beach without noticing debris and solely enjoy the beauty alone? While I have no doubt I will always find enjoyment being by the water, I have concluded that I can't look away from the trash without acknowledging that I am in fact looking away. Once aware, I cannot make myself unaware. So I guess I may always feel the compulsion to care this place I love.

As of today, the BP well was secured. The last step of finishing the relief well and sealing it off on the bottom will come in another week or so. Three days ago another rig off the Louisiana coast in shallower water blew up, although it wasn't nearly the disaster the BP rig was.

Even though the NOAA predictions for the oil to reach our South FL coastline came and went (August 18th) without it actualizing, the other suppositions that there are no oil plumes were disproved when scientists located one about 22 miles long.

News on all these stories is now getting harder to find in the headlines; other stories now more current, the imminent crisis abated.

Yesterday Tove and I went out to the beach in spite of the thunder to the southwest and light raindrops. We sat side-by-side under our large umbrella watching the most amazing waves. The only people out were surfers - small groupings of them along the north and south break - not a soul in between. Sea gulls teamed overhead making the most of plentiful fish. Hurricane Earl passed us just a day or two earlier, creating the optimal conditions for waves that appeared to rise out of the gray mist. Six to eight foot swells sent surfers skirting across the shoreline. New surfers scurried onto the beach, boards in hand, only to stop dead in their tracks upon realizing the amazing gift before them. The surfers who called it a day and came back to shore stood and watched, mesmerized. A rainbow provided the backdrop and a slight breeze and warm rain were our companions. It was, for me, one of the MOST BEAUTIFUL sights on this beach I have ever seen. And I felt lucky beyond belief to have been there. My little boy, his tiny hand on my knee, watched it all go by with me - together.

More to come...


Your,
Little Mama Sea Keeper

No comments:

Post a Comment