Thursday, November 18, 2010

REPORT: November 18, 2010 - 4pm

Too much has passed since I last wrote, yet nothing stood still, least of all the ocean. There were days I wanted to write with total excitement about the insane phenomenon we saw...

...thousands, if not millions, of small bate fish washing ashore so that the crest of the waves were nothing but jumping fish, all frantically swimming South. Or the day the waves came on-shore at an amazing 10 - 14 feet high! It looked like Hawaii out there. Surfers were everywhere (and not 1 swimmer). Such AWESOME beauty! I would have loved to go out in it just to feel the strength of the waves against my human size. And then there's the smallest creature who now greets us along the path EVERY day -- a silver and black, shield-shaped spider. We call him (or her) the "Happy Spider", and stop to say "hello" since he is always in the same place -- smack in the middle of his intricate, cross-woven web which is strung in between an open spot amongst the mangrove leaves.

Although there have been days in which there isn't much trash, unfortunately most times the beach is considerably littered with plastic especially along the shoreline. I don't want to focus on it too much because it doesn't seem to help. I pick up what I can (as usual), and go on with the day (and sleep a little better at night). At least the water has been especially clear and clean.

And then there was yesterday...

...around 4 pm, the sun now setting so early in the sky, the water a much cooler temperature (79 degrees) -- T. OCEAN and I play close to the shore break for a short frolic. Out of nowhere and heading South came a group of manta rays - brown on top, white underneath and about 3 to 4 feet long each. Swimming by us the first time was one thing. But they decided to trek back again, retracing their route; then two more returned for one more pass. Perhaps they were feeding. There was certainly plenty of activity (jumping bait fish) and tiny jellyfish around. The ocean was very alive with its animals that did not seem to mind gliding right past a mother and little boy splashing about. Really a great feeling.

I think one of the most magical things about interacting with the ocean daily is what it does for my mind. Between T. OCEAN and the ever-changing world of the sea, I am able to focus on only what is in front of me. In the moment; the here and now as it were. Events such as these leave me feeling very lucky and truly graced to be so close to where nature is unbound and wondrous. I see like a child at these times, and forget my mortality (and the reality of a mother's perpetual to-do list).

Pictures to come....


Until then,
Your,
Little Mama Sea Keeper

No comments:

Post a Comment